Monday, May 26, 2014

I know this; and thus I challenge it.

I'm about three quarters of the way through number 75, White Teeth by Zadie Smith, and am happy to report it I'm enjoying it. I started it a couple of weeks ago, but was away at a golf tournament last week, on an annual trip that doesn't afford me much reading time. Looking back at the Victoria Day weekend the past few years, I see there is always a gap in my reading each time. But I'm back on track now, and plan to finish it before I leave on another trip this Thursday.

When I do finish it, I might be in a bit of a conundrum with regards to what to read next. Right now I'm planning on reading A House for Mr. Biswas by V.S. Naipaul, and I do currently have it out from the library. The problem is that it is getting more and more difficult to plan my next read, simply because there are fewer books to choose from.


When I was reading Deliverance three and a half years ago, I still had 80 books to choose from, but now with only 25, it gets more difficult to make sure I have my next read. And of course this will only get more difficult the closer I get to 100. Fortunately, this is something I've had in the back of my mind for a few years now.

As a safety net, I've managed to pick up copies of 9 of the remaining books 25 books, including two I picked up this weekend at the CBC Calgary Reads, book sale; A Dance to the Music of Time and A Passage to India. I stumbled across a copy of the former, and figured it would be a difficult one for me to read in three weeks, and as the library only has one copy, that is likely the time frame I'll be restricted to. As for the latter, I have long planned for it to be #98, and don't want to be at the mercy of other library users' schedule.

Right now, the plan is to make the nine titles I own, part of the final ten books. Only Never Let Met Go, the newest book on the List and my plan for #99, isn't currently on my shelf.

The other books that will make up the final ten, in addition to the three mentioned above, are Nineteen Eighty-Four, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dog Soldiers, A Death in the Family, The Confessions of Nat Turner, Loving, and Neuromancer.


But first, I need to finish #75...


No comments:

Post a Comment