Tuesday, November 9, 2010

You must return and mend it

I finally made amends yesterday for my theft of Falconer from a small Inn in rural Ontario.  I had vowed (to myself) to return it, and can now say I kept my word.  Included in the package was the book in question, a short thank you note, which also outlined why and how I stole the book, plus a small gift to show my appreciation.

The gift was an old copy of The Chancellor Manuscript by Robert Ludlum.  Sending it to Ontario worked well for me as it was not only a nice gesture, but it also saved me a trip to the used bookstore.  I'd already read it, and was never going to read it again, plus I thought it would be a good book to have on the shelves of a small rural Inn.  While the title might not be recognizable, at least the author would be, and it's the kind of light, fluffy fair someone on vacation would probably be interested in reading.  I also thought it would fit in with the other books, as I don't think any of them were published after 1985.

As I eagerly await their response, I wonder if they even noticed it was missing.  Would an Inn with seven rooms have a full time librarian to manage roughly thirty books?  Hmmm...now that I think about it, not only will they not have noticed, but they likely won't care either.

No comments:

Post a Comment