Sunday, November 15, 2009

Here once again we sit...

After hittimg my first stumbling block a few days ago, I was forced to visit the library in search of a book to start this list. I'm going to assume that Nineteen Eighty-Four missing the opening pages was a sign I wasn't supposed to begin the list with a book I'd already read. So, I decided to pick something else that will hopefully be interesting and not too daunting. I don't necessarily want to start with Gone with the Wind, but rather something a little more modest.

The first book I am going to read from the list is now going to be John Le Carre's The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. I don't know much about it, other than it is a spy novel. I read a couple of James Bond novels several years ago, and I'm going to assume I'll enjoy this one as well.

In addition to Spy, I also checked out Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh and Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. I hadn't planned on checking anything else out, but I passed these two in the stacks and remembered them being on the list. I don't know anything about them either, but do remember Evelyn Waugh's name from an essay about World War II I read not long ago. As for Naked Lunch, I remember the movie coming out in the early 90’s. I haven't seen the movie, but I remember the poster, which featured either a typewriter wearing a suit. I don’t know why that’s stuck with me so well after all this time, but it has. The book cover of the edition I picked up is much less exciting with simply the title in large, bold letters. Part of me would have maybe preferred the suit-wearing typewriter. Could it be some kind of detective novel in the genre of Sam Spade? Sadly, I don't think so.

But I digress. I'm now at home, with a complete book in my hands, ready to start the list for real. With out further adieu I begin The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment