Wednesday, November 11, 2009

And then it started like a guilty thing

Okay, now that I've decided to read 100 novels from a set list, I have a few other things to figure out before I get started. To begin, I've decided not to necessarily go out a buy all the books. Although it would look neat on my book shelf, I just don't want to spend the money right now. Perhaps in the future, I'll start acquiring them, but for now I'll borrow from friends, or more likely, the public library.

The next thing I was thinking about was whether or not to establish a schedule of my reading. By that I mean select the order I'm going to read the books in, and then sort of have deadlines for each one. This would mostly be in an effort to keep things rolling along, and not lost sight of the fact that I've got a lot of reading to get through. But after some thought I've decided that first off, I don't want to pre-determine what order I'm going to read these books in. This could become troublesome if the book I'm to read next if unavailable for whatever reason. Secondly, I know that some books are going to be quite an easy read, while some might take me much, much longer. There's no pointing in beating myself up because one book is taking me a really long time to read, as I know I'll go through others quite quickly.

I guess all that's left to do now is figure out what book to read first. I scanned the list for quite some time, hoping one of the many books would jump out at me. However, knowing so little about the majority of them, there was nothing doing. So, in an attempt to speed up the process, I have decided to begin with George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. Yes, I've read it before, but I do plan on reading those six again anyway. This is a book I enjoy and am familiar with, so I figure it will make for a good quick start to the list. Plus, I have a copy of this one at home, so I don't need to go the library or bookstore. That means I can start reading as soon as I'm done typing this sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment