Tuesday, February 18, 2014

As Aventuras de Augie March

I was in Brazil for a week , and am currently in Panama , so I have not been able to post anything for a while. While I'm having a great time here, it has not given me much time to read . I'm still plugging away at The Adventures of Augie March though.

But plugging away doesn't mean I'm making much progress . The problem started before I left for this trip, as I was too busy trying to finish David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas, a book about the building of the Panama Canal, before we left. I was not able to finish it, but I did manage to read 660 of 700 pages in a week (I didn't bring it with me as I did't want to lug such a big drag around for two weeks just to read 40 pages!).

Fala Portuguese?
To read over 600 pages of good, but dry writing about a canal, I wasn't able to touch Augie March for almost two weeks, and now I am only a third of the way through it . It has been in my thoughts though, and I was able to find a copy of it at Livaria Cultura, a giant bookstore in downtown Sao Paulo. Of course that version would likely go even slower because my Portuguese is not, how should I put this...it's not...good.




The plan for today is to stay at the hotel and relax by the pool, which should be perfect for getting some reading done ...


No comments:

Post a Comment