Thursday, October 24, 2013

With any size of words.


I'm about a third of the way through my 69th book from The List, Possession by A.S. Byatt. I'm not sure what I think of this one. So far, I'm interested in the story, although I have no idea where it is headed, and I'm intrigued by the characters, although I'm not sure why.

Like so many books I've read from The List so far, I was a little worried when I started reading this one. First off, I usually select a book because it's story or subject interests me. But when I tackle many of these list books, I'm reading them because they're on The List, not because my interest was piqued.

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, the title Possession: A Romance, throws up all kinds of flags. But I shouldn't allow that to be the case, as it would be a prefect example of judging a book by it's cover. I honestly try not to do that! Plus it's size is a little intimidating; not the 510 pages, but rather the tiny font. Such small font over 510 pages can make for a lengthy read, especially if it turns out to be one I'm not enjoying.

The problem with small font, is that it can often feel like I'm not making any progress on the book. If each page is taking a couple of minutes, an hour of reading might only get me through 25 or 30 pages. I think I'll always prefer larger font and more pages, just so I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere. Having said that, large print books are unreadable, as it feels like the book is yelling at me. I guess it would seem I'm quite picky when it comes to font size.


No comments:

Post a Comment