Friday, September 21, 2012

Hast thou been drawn to by thy fantasy?

I've finally decided what my 61st read will be.  After debating with myself over whether I should be selecting a long, difficult read or whether I should try and rattle off a couple of short ones to do some catch up, I was finally able to reach a decision.  Understanding that I'm not going to be able to read 11 books by mid-November, which means I will be behind my desired 4 year pace; and, not wanting to be stuck with several The Recognitions-esque books at the end, means I'm reading Lord of the Rings next.
 
My thought process is that Lord of the Rings will sort of be a happy median between the above two concerns.  Yes, it's a really long book, but it's one that I'm thinking what be too difficult of a read, so I should be able to get through it relatively quickly (as quickly as one gets through a 1,500 page book that is).
 
For many, this book would be a treat; one of the books they'd look forward to as they read through this list.  While I'm not dreading it, I'm also not that keen to read it.  Which is only because I'm not really a fan of the genre.  Again, I don't dislike it, I just don't get excited for it.
 
The other thing is that I've never seen the movies.  That's right, I'm that guy. When everybody was lining up to see the three movies, I was at home watching old re-runs of 'All in the Family.'  So I really don't know anything about the books going into them.  I know there is a 'Frodo' and I know there's something about a ring, but nothing else.
 
So here I go....into the realm of fantasy...

No comments:

Post a Comment