Tuesday, June 5, 2012

#53 - 'The Recognitions' by William Gaddis






Looking back, I think my brain started distancing itself from the book quite early on, after a didn't read it for a few days.  At that point I had begun to have trouble following the story, and difficulty keeping track of all the many, many characters.  Halfway through, I was simply confused and uninterested.  But I don't solely blame myself for this.  There are several scenes taking place at cocktail parties, where so many different characters are introduced, half of which don't seem to really have anything to do with the main plot.  It is these scenes that I feel could have easily been cut from the book without taking anything away from the story.  Add this to the two months I took to read it, and I end up with a disjointed, lethargic story that didn't seem to go anywhere.










As I have fallen behind in my progress on the list for 2012, I will need to get some serious reading done in the next few weeks to have any chance of reading 25 books this year.  For this reason, I have chosen Ubik as my next read, Philip K. Dick's 1969 science-fiction novel.  It's less than 200 pages, so hopefully I can whip through it as quickly as possible and hopefully I find it a little more interesting than #53.

No comments:

Post a Comment