Monday, March 21, 2011

forget, forgive; conclude and be agreed;

I'm about 10% finished my most recent read, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers.  While there have been many books I didn't know anything about or had never heard of or had never heard of the author, this book has an extra air of...forgetability.  When I try to go through the list in my head, I usually miss about five books that I can't think of and they're always the same five.  The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is one of those books.  So not only am I not familiar with it at all, I always forget about it too.


I have taken a bunch of books out from the library, again with the strategy of always having a variety of books to choose from when I finish my current read.  However this time I vow not to incur any fines on them.  Or at least not on the bulk of them.  My previous six loans, five of which I didn't read, I incurred fines of $0.70 on each, after having forgot to renew them for a couple of days.  Sure, it isn't much, but it's stupid to pay $3.50 when it takes two minutes to renew on-line.

I currently have out on loan, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, The French Lieutenant's Woman, The Painted Bird, The Sheltering Sky, Slaughterhouse Five, All the King's Men, The Day of the Locust and Red Harvest.  I also have two books I've previously borrowed and returned without reading; Gravity's Rainbow and Gone with the Wind. I picked those two up because I happen to pass them on the shelves and figured, what the hell.  I'd like to read them at before I hit 50, so I think I'll try to squeeze one in next month.

Other than the one I'm currently reading of course, I have no plans to read any particular one next.  I guess it'll be whatever happens to tickle my fancy that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment