Monday, March 15, 2010

At what was all this laughing?

I started Catch-22 yesterday and so far, so good. Although set in the midst of a war, a world war that is, it’s made me laugh out loud several times. I don’t know if I’ve ever laughed out loud at a book before. Unless of course I’m reading the 'Far Side', but I’m not sure that counts as a book. Although I think it should. Perhaps ‘The Chickens are Restless’ appears on Time’s Top 100 Graphic Novels list. I’ll have to check. It should. So should ‘Wiener Dog Art’ for that matter.

The story is set an an Allied airfield during World War II, and follows Capt. Yossarian, a bombardier with the 256th. It has the witty exchanges one would expect to find in an Abbot and Costello routine; almost a ‘Who’s on First’ type dialogue at times, and perhaps this is what is making it so much fun to read.

"They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
"No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
"Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
"They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
"And what difference does that make?"

Yossarian's mission is to get out of the army and out of the war. Of course, there is a catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment