Sunday, January 17, 2010

I conjure thee but slowly;

The struggles I experienced reading Naked Lunch are haunting me again with Light in August. The story often moves at a snail's pace, and I find myself drifting into la-la land quite often. This makes progress on the book slow, but I keep plugging away.

I'm leaving on a trip to Egypt tomorrow evening to see the sights of a 5000 year old civilization. My progress is so slow on the list right now, I'm thinking it might take me the same amount of time to finish this list. I starting think I should have picked something else to read after Naked Lunch, as the rate I'm going, it's going to take me two months to finish two books, which if my math is correct, will mean it'll take me eight years to finish this. So, maybe not the 5000 year horizon, but still pretty slow!

My trip to Egypt will involve a lot of time on a boat, as we head down the Nile, visiting the sights. That should allow me some time do to do some reading, and maybe play a little catch up. I know I won't have that much time, what with the tour and all, but I'm sure there will be some down time.

Besides taking Light in August with me, I've also decided to take a couple of books with me that I've already read. Since I have The Great Gatsby checked out from the library right now, I'm taking that. As well, I'm going to take the only complete book I own from the list, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

No comments:

Post a Comment