Wednesday, December 23, 2009

At Christmas I no more desire a rose

I'm flying to Victoria today to spend Christmas with my mother, so I should be able to finish off this book over the next few days. I think it’s winding down, but I’m only judging that on the number of pages left, not by the story reaching some kind of climax. That hasn’t happened. Or if it has, I missed it. There are so many times reading Naked Lunch that I flip back a few pages to see if I missed something. I’ve never been able to find what I missed, but I think it must be there, or else how could this book make the list?

So far in my mission to read these 100 novels, I’ve been pretty good at avoiding my biggest challenge whilst reading. I tend to drift off a lot. I start thinking about something that happened the other day, or what I’m going to have for supper; whatever, it doesn’t matter. All of the sudden, I’ve read, ne, flipped, three or four pages, but don’t have a clue what has happened. My eyes scan over the words, but nothing is absorbed. Of course I have to go back and find the last thing I remember, and then start re-reading those pages.

Well that’s a real big problem with Naked Lunch. It’s very easy to drift off on this one, and I’m doing a ton of it. Even if I am paying attention really closely, I don’t know what the hell is going on. Have I mentioned that yet? I don’t know what the hell is going on!!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment